Dunkirk

Dunkirk                                                                              

Movie

Christopher Nolan really likes his actors. Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy are in everything he does. That doesn't have much to do with the movie though, just my thoughts. 

Dunkirk is a city on the French Coast. I don't know how much of the war was fought in France but Wikipedia says they fought for both sides. Originally France with England declared war on Germany when Poland was invaded but France was taken over pretty early after that and France surrendered, the battle of Dunkirk happened the same month.

This movie starts with soldiers on the ground in Dunkirk, pilots in the air above Dunkirk, and civilians with boats coming from England. I'll start by saying yes Harry Styles is a ground soldier but I don't think we see him until he's on a rescue boat, Tom Hardy is a pilot (I called his ending) , and Cillian (Scarecrow) is known to IMDB as shivering soldier. My favorite part of the movie is the old man who brings his son and neighbor boy to the battle because he needs to do his part. There is an old Billy Ray Cyrus song called Some Gave All. The chorus goes "All gave some, and some gave all." These people were the all that gave some because they did what they could. They couldn't fight because he was too old and his son was too young but when the call for help went out they answered. The neighbor even gave all.

The movie was filmed in Dunkirk, which is always cool. There was a shot of a ship that had blown up and was sinking and you could just barely see it flipping which made it seem so realistic. There was also a part where another ship was spilling oil and sinking and then an enemy aircraft went down and caused a fire to start. Both of these scenes were visually amazing. 

I have found that Christopher Nolan uses so many details that it is hard to follow this movie when you are doing anything else. Most people really appreciate this but I tend to play on my phone or computer when watching movies... I am sure that I missed a lot of details but luckily my husband was watching everything so I could ask him questions. All around it was a good movie but not the type that I will ever put on when I'm wasting time on my days off.

Comments

  1. Christopher Nolan also likes his composers. I believe there are few films that Christopher Nolan has directed that Hans Zimmer has not composed.

    I am currently reading the novel Dunkirk: “The History Behind the Major Motion Picture.” Written by Joshua Levine, the films historian, it tells a good story about the real lives of those trapped at Dunkirk. One thing that stood out to me is that during an interview for the book, Christopher Nolan, said that “Dunkirk” is a survival story, not a war story. You can see this in the way that Christopher Nolan shows very little of the German enemy, even putting them out of focus when they are shown in the last scene.

    Most of the men that survived and made it back to England felt as if they were defeated, which they were. Yet, had they not survived, there would have been 380,000 men less to continue fighting the War. At this point, the United States was not in World War II. This would have turned the tide of the War and put us in a very different world then we are in today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really liked the newspaper reading at the end because it did go into the feelings of inadequacy they felt but everyone was cheering for them anyway. Winning battles aren’t why most people choose to join the military. They join for a sense of purpose and loyalty. They still served and did everything they could do.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real