Gladiator

Podcast


This is about Aaron Hernandez and therefore about football and the NFL's response to concussions. I heard an interview from Terry Crews a prior NFL player, where he called the NFL a cult of masculinity. I like that they liken it to being old school gladiators. It seems like they do have that kind of mentality; where they have to be the biggest, strongest, most ruthless athlete on the field. Injuries are seen as weakness and it causes people to play injured and make it worse.


I don't like these kind of stories though. I have not watched concussion because it just makes me nervous. I have had eight totally minor concussions... But after the first one or two they come more often. I got my first 3 playing high school soccer, I blame them for not feeling successful in college... But now they come every time I even shake my head it seems. I mean, I've gotten one from watching basketball! Yeah WATCHING, sitting on the stage at a church and watching probably a game of Lightning or something lame, not even a real game.


So yeah CTE terrifies me and this is why. The Brightside is that I don't think of myself as a violent person and a lot of these football players get pretty angry. I just feel like my mind doesn't work as fast as it used to.


Oh my gosh, this is about the actual podcast. I loved it because it was only 8 episodes and it dove pretty deep into what happened and why it happened. I did not like how they blamed Aaron's issues on the fact that he left high school 6 months early and then college a year early and they mentioned that he didn't take serious classes in college. 1 the last 6 months of high school is just about wasting time, he probably kept some momentum by leaving early. And most professional athletes don't finish college and don't get degrees. That is not why they go to college, they go to college because the pros won't let them go straight from High School. The episode where they talked about his college years was really annoying to me but all of the others were so good!


I especially think you should listen to this because it gives good insight without spending too much time repeating itself and therefore wasting time for 15 episodes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real