John Tucker Must Die

Movie


This was the second movie that I watched when I was in recovery from staying up all night on New Years. I am actually surprised that I haven't written about this one yet because it was one of my favorite movies in college. I love Brittany Snow! I love Sophia Bush! I love Jenny McCarthy! I love Penn Badgley! Jesse, Arielle, and Ashanti are all alright people and fantastic in this movie. I didn't know who Taylor Kitsch was when first watching this movie as he wasn't a big role and he hadn't really been in anything else yet (Friday Night Lights was the same year but also I watched that much later and The Covenant wasn't a very big movie although another favorite.)


And the premise of this movie is the most popular guy in school can get whatever he wants but he doesn't realize how it affects other people. Honestly as I watch this movie from 2020 perspective it has a lot of problems and I'm curious how Sophia feels about it now because she is very PC and inspirational. I did find an article of Jesse talking about it and explaining how he chose to act as John Tucker, and he's right. The story is that he got away with everything because his peers worshiped him. In the article he talked about high school hierarchy and its such a valid concept. I saw people try so hard to be liked by people they hated because they knew they controlled the rest of high school. I myself had a friend that I went to preschool through high school with who was the popular pretty girl. It wasn't until my senior year that I realized that she only liked having me around because I made her feel better about herself. I spent 13 years in her shadow only to realize that I wasn't like her because I didn't want to be. I was the fun outgoing athletic one where she was the pretty musical one. We had different personalities and we belonged in different circles but I didn't get that because I had to be like her.


While there isn't anything wrong with being friends with people who aren't like you, you don't need to dull your shine to have friends. That's what the moral of the story really is. It's that friendship is enough on it's own, you don't need to worry about popularity just happiness. Anyway watch this movie 100 times and memorize the lines and love life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real