Salem

TV show


I know what you're thinking, another witch show for Mandy. But honestly I started watching this show for Shane West. It was actually a slow start for me because Shane had long hair and I wasn't feeling it, and the show kind of moved slow. See it's one of those shows where a lot of things are happening in "secret" so there were a few different story lines to follow. And the first season had a big finish but it took a lot of patience to get to that end. The other 2 seasons went a lot faster. There was more action going on episodically.


This show seems actually realistic, not saying there were witches in Salem but if there were they were definitely not the ones being caught. That's one cool thing about this show. There is a part where they find a witch and accuse her but as they do, they tortured her until she named other witches. She finally named someone but that person was definitely not a witch but they killed the one immediately and they put the new one on trial. The new person was not a witch but was labeled as one and banished. I think that happened more often than not. I also think that is why it seems slow, because in real life it wasn't always high intensity. These were people just living their public lives and their shadow lives separately but they were just living. Even though I was bored sometimes, looking back I really liked this interpretation.


I think that is because Puritans specifically but any religion think of witches as devil worshipers but most witches worship the universe or the earth. Many witches get their power from the land they're on, or a grove of trees, or their gardens; not from the devil. Now this show just have a lot to do with the devil so in this case they are all devil worshipers but why wouldn't they be when the Puritans are torturing people for not being righteous enough when even the evangelical leaders are visiting the "whores," it's all about keeping secrets. As a previously religious person I grew up feeling like the key to successful religion is keeping your secrets to yourself. I actually always got along better with non-religious people because I could tell them things that I couldn't tell my church friends. I never hung out with these friends for long because I ended up still feeling guilty but I loved talking to them. Now that I'm out of religion I see that those feelings of fear were just what people would think. My church didn't preach to hate sinners but the people at church just hated people they didn't understand. It was more of a insecurity on them not a problem with God.


Um anyway later in this series one of the main witches goes off on why she joined league with the devil when the Puritan god was torturing people. I loved that take and I related hard to that. Not saying I'm abandoning god for the devil but I am abandoning my old view of god in favor of a greater power in the universe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real