Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce

This was a triggering show that I can't even remember how I found it but it was the show I needed. This famous, successful writer gets divorced from her husband of IDK 15 years or so? So a long time and a lot longer marriage than mine for sure. But I think it's always hard because when you get married you start planning to have this person with you through the rest of your life and depending on your beliefs eternity... and then it flips and you have to plan everything completely differently. It's not about you not having this person around, it's about planning a whole new life. And there are times when we move forward quickly and times when we have to stop and take a break. Sometimes we try too hard to make something new happen and other times we try to force things to go back to "normal" but all the times we're trying to keep our cool through everything. It's emotional and heavy, even if you know it's for the best. What I liked about this show is it shows the mess and the anger but also that you have to find your squad. She has such a close group of friends. It starts out as 3 but grows to many more. I love that because life is about growing and inviting other people to grow. This show starts out talking about Abby (the writer) and her husband Jake but we get to hear about her friends and their relationships too. So we meet Pheobe and Lyla pretty early as new but established best friends and Delia comes in quickly as her divorce lawyer. And then the group gets close and they all start pairing off so that adds more friends. I love that and I'm hoping to do that when the world starts spinning again. I really liked watching Abby meet a lot of guys and then try to force them into some sort of commitment that even she isn't ready for. She makes me feel better because I am constantly torn between wanting to date and find someone to fill that void and wanting to really be myself and be by myself. After finishing the show I find that I really want to be by myself and learn to be happy alone until I can find someone who makes me not want to be alone...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real