Patriarchy at work

Ok so I am a trainer, that is my job title. My actual job description is to retrain, mentor and test competency for the people I'm over. So part of mentoring is talking to people and getting to know them as workers and people. So a big part of my day is walking the floor and seeing how everyone is doing. Some people ask work questions and some just tell me personal stories but I try to give them all the options. Well this week some guy who is actually a terrible leader and has never had my job before chose to tell me I was doing my job wrong. Now I know and everyone that was witness to this discussion (as it was very vocal to everyone) knows that I was legitimately doing my job. I was currently helping my best friend/soul sister who is on my team do her job. Then when we both brought it up seperately how disrespectful it was he said some shit about how "he understands that there is a fine line between being friends and coworkers and he just wants to make sure we know where the line is" In my opinion we clearly know where the line is much better than he does because he just assumed. So even though I'm clearly very upset about how this was all handled, I'm more upset that he judged us thinking that since we are 2 girls we can't work together? I mean people don't do that to guys. It was that mentality that all girls do is gab and gossip. It's so disrespectful! I am lucky because every one that I've talked to about it knows he's in the wrong but in 2021 with the world how it is, why is it still ok for a guy to do this. He's still "climbing the corporate ladder." One of my other coworkers think he's going to be a supervisor soon and I could see it happening. Because the people that make those decisions aren't here seeing how he is to people. I get that promotions shouldn't be popularity contests but we should promote people who don't try to tear others down. I'm so mad that this happened to me that no matter how many people tell me they're on my side it's not enough. It's systemic and unexceptable. I did report it to my lead so hopefully if anything comes up they will see that I handled it correctly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hating Game

You

Baby is real